Thursday, December 9, 2010

Fifth Field Trip

When I first saw that my urban field trip was going to be at downtown fort Myers, I was a little disappointed. I had been to downtown Fort Myers plenty of times and I didn't remember anything environmental or significantly interesting. But I grabbed my camera and went to look around anyway, and I realized I had over looked many things.


First thing is I never knew Fort Myers even had a museum. I didn't go inside because I didn't have the money, but I did research on the website and I looked around outside and it would definitely be a place I would like to go see in the future.

I had been to the Harborside event center before for my graduation and for military ball, but I figured it was a significant place in downtown fort Myers so I grabbed a picture.
 One place I don't remember seeing is centennial park. This park is filled with so much history and art that I was overwhelmed  because I love history.
This memorial is to honor the soldiers that trained at Buckingham and Page Air field in 1942-1945. It honors all of those that were WWII bombers and those that were in the war that had trained at the air fields.


Another statue that i found amazing was "Uncommon Friends" by  D.J. Wilkins. This piece is a sculpture of Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, and Harvey Firestone. It represents them as the fathers of the American industrial twentieth century. I thought this sculpture was really beautiful and I couldn't help but stop and stare at it for a little while.   


My last stop in centennial park was by the water. I found a perfect spot that over looked the water and you could see straight across to the other side of the water. This spot was very peaceful and luckily I brought my book when I went because I ended up laying on the bench for almost an hour relaxing and reading because it was such a beautiful day out.
I was definitely surprised at all the interesting new sites I found in downtown Fort Myers and the next day I have off I will definitely be going back to my reading spot to relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment